English Language – IELTSImmigration and Student visa applicants are required to provide the results of an English language test.
Artworks by Martina Crepulja
August 22, 2013
Category:connecting your future
Glocal Visas require people to have a reasonable standard of English to ensure they have the best opportunity to settle readily into work and life in Australia, Canada, New Zealand, UK and the USA.
Being able to communicate and work in English will help you settle in the Australia, Canada, New Zealand, UK and the US.
This page describes the English language requirement for non-English-speaking country migrants who are applying to enter or remain in Australia, Canada, New Zealand, UK and the USA as the students, immigrants or temporary workers.
Applicants for immigration visas and student visas in the Australia, Canada, New Zealand, UK (known as ‘leave to remain’) must meet this requirement, unless they are exempt (see below).
You will meet the requirement if you can show that you:
- are a national of a majority English-speaking country; or
- have passed an English language test approved by us at the appropriate level (mandatory requirement)
You must prove your ability in English in these four areas:
To prove your language skills, you must take an IELTS test, and include the results with your application.
- IELTS – The test for study and work in Australia, Canada, New Zealand, UK and the USA.
IELTS has two options for the reading and writing tests: “General Training” and “Academic.” You must take the “General Training” option for Immigration to Australia, Canada and New Zealand and “Academic Training: for Study Abroad programs.
IELTS – International English Language Testing System
IELTS is the International English Language Testing System which tests English proficiency across the globe. Conducting 2 million tests in the past year, IELTS is the world’s most popular high stakes English language proficiency test.
IELTS is accepted by more than 8,000 organisations worldwide. These include universities, immigration departments, government agencies, professional bodies and multinational companies. To search for a recognising institution, use the IELTS Global Recognition System.
IELTS has two versions – Academic and General Training. The Academic test is for those who want to study at a tertiary level in an English-speaking country. The General Training test is for those who want to do work experience or training programs, secondary school or migrate to an English-speaking country. All candidates take the same Listening and Speaking tests but different Reading and Writing tests.
- Find an IELTS test in Dubai, UAE
- Download your IELTS Essentials pack – The essentials tools to help you prepare for IELTS
- Free IELTS Practice Tests
- IELTS Examiner Tips
- IELTS Application Form 2014
- IELTS | Test Takers – Preparation materials
IELTS Test Sample 2014
- IELTS | Test Takers – Academic Reading sample
- IELTS | Test Takers – Academic Writing sample
- IELTS | Test Takers – General Training Reading sample
- IELTS | Test Takers – General Training Writing sample
- IELTS | Test Takers – Speaking sample
- IELTS | Test Takers – Listening sample